Our First Interview! Emma aka Nothing New 2018



Emma Nothing New 2018

Emma's account was one of the first ones I started following when I set myself the challenge of buying nothing new for a year. She's got a really unique sense of style that I find inspiring-in fact I even wore a dress over jeans last week because I saw her do it the week before! 

I also think it's fitting to feature Emma on here during Fashion Revolution Week as so much of what motivates her are the devastating effects of the fast fashion industry.





When did you first start shopping preloved did anything and anyone inspire you ? 


I've always loved a bargain and have frequented charity shops and antique markets for a long time but this year began my shift to purely buying preloved. It was purely from a selfish point of wanting to save money originally  and has grown as I've learned more about the fast fashion industry. It's inspiring how many other women seem to be on the same journey and Instagram is great for connecting with others and sharing tips! 


What are your top tips for charity / thrift shopping ? 

Apply some of the same rules as you would to normal shopping; it's not a bargain if you don't need it or aren't going to wear it! Also try things on, again just because it's cheap doesn't mean you shouldn't love it don't buy for the sake of it, try it on and think what your would wear it with. 

What is your best charity/thrift shop find ?


I think all my favourite finds are clothes I've found for my younger daughter- kids vintage is so cute !
I found my eldest some doc martens for a fiver last year ( and she has the same shoe size as me )  they were hardly worn and will last for ages ( as long as she doesn't keep growing at this rate , she's only 12 !)


What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving behind, the one that got away ! 

Even though they would realistically be of little use to me I always regret not getting some sandals I found in an antique centre once , they were bright red clog like sandals , with WHEELS ! They were just so retro and amazing 😂❤️








Who is your style inspo ? 


So many , I admire anyone who is creative with their style but for my own personal style I love Lou Doillon and Dawn O'Porter; I get a lot of inspo from Instagram accounts and street style .


What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe ? 


My best piece of advice is to a do a full wardrobe audit, see what you have .
Then the next step is to either write or visually plan outfits , it's something  I've just started to do  and it's already making life so much easier ! It stops those 'staring into the wardrobe wondering what goes together' moments and shows you which of your clothes you really wear. I love the whole idea of thinking about how much your clothes cost per wear and making the most of things you already own can ensure you get super value out of your clothing.








            
A huge thank you to Emma for agreeing to be interviewed for the blog! Be sure to check out her instagram for some excellent style inspo!
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            


            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
              



Comments

Popular Posts