Interview with Claire McErlean aka @wardrobe_reinventure

First of all, apologies for the hiatus here on the blog this past week. I have finally finished and submitted my final report for my Social Media Management course so I am back in the land of the living! It feels good to be back here on the blog.
This evening I am delighted to have Claire aka @wardrobe_reinventure here doing my interview. I 'met' Claire early on in my project and it was great to find someone who is doing a similar challenge; no new clothes in 2018-"only running and wedding gear allowed!" We also share a love of all things pattern and are not afraid of a bit of statement jewelry. Over to Claire...



1. When did you first start shopping preloved? Did anything or anyone inspire you to do so?


Well where do I begin! I have always loved clothes! As the youngest of 4 children I began life in the 80s in preloved (siblings of the 70s so I had some fantastic orange and brown toweling clothing!) 
Sunday mornings meant car boot sales. I loved also love jumble sales and charity shops and I was always very proud of my bargains. My Mum tells a story about how aged around 8 I told everyone in the post office that my jumper cost 20p!
I also loved hand me downs. That was like Christmas! A big black bag of clothes to go through from family friends! Even to this day I still love to share my bargain buys! I grew up in Weston-Super-Mare which has some great charity shops but as a teenager I saved my money to go to Park Street in Bristol to hit the vintage shops. I love that preloved clothes have a history. I like to think where they may have been. Preloved has always been part of my style. 

2.What are your top tips for charity shopping?


I love the pot luck of charity shopping. I shop with my hands too. I like to feel all the fabrics.  My top tips are time- go out specifically to hit the charity shops and make a day of it with some pals. Give yourself time to potter around. It's a past time! 
Time of year too...I always hit Portswood at student clear out time. There's always lots of bargains. 
If you like it...buy it! It may not be there if you go back.
Finally my Mum's words of wisdom. 3 questions...Do I need It? Will I wear It? Can I afford It? (2/3 will do for me!)  

3.What is your best charity shop find?


My best charity shop/thrift find...That's a hard one! I have a beautiful black vintage clasp handbag which cost me £2 and is so versatile. I love to think of where it may have been. I also buy preloved vintage glasses frames and have them re glazed. When I was 12 I got a black velvet Jaeger jacket in a Scope shop. That was 90s indie kid perfecto! 
Recently my £1 car boot vintage midi dress. I wore it to the school prom! 

4. What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving behind? The one that got away?


See question 2 but I did recently leave a vintage floral pussy bow blouse and when I went back it was gone! 


5. Who is your style inspo?

 
Style inspo is hard! I am mainly inspired by colour and pattern. I love vintage.  I have always liked building an outfit around 1 item like a necklace, a belt or shoes. 
As a 13 year old my inspirations were Louise Wener and Lauren Laverne. I loved the indie look and that's developed over time into various different styles. I love to dress up and will sometimes go all out 50s and other time clash patterns or chuck on a pair of dungarees. I like to up cycle clothes too. Inspiration is everywhere! These days I like to play around with my style. I love a bit of sparkle. 

6. What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe?


Keep nothing for best. Best is today. If you like it wear it. Always try out different combinations- sometimes taking a risk works. Try a new combo or a new clash might work well! 
Dress for yourself and have fun! 
Challenge yourself but always have a few favourite classics up your sleeve too! I love an old favourite faithful.


Thank you Claire! Please message me if you would like to be a part of this series. Let's celebrate all things preloved and slow down fast fashion!

Comments

Popular Posts