Interview with @b_collina


Continuing my interview series on the blog, I am delighted to have Becky aka @b_collina here this evening!



Becky is a Design Technology teacher who is an advocate of buying secondhand clothes. Along with Emma, Becky is buying no new clothes this year and she was one of the first instagrammers I found when I started my campaign. She is also the Creative Director of the Leeds Community Clothing Exchange-an excellent clothes swapping event held regularly in Leeds (how I wish I lived closer!)

Check out her instagram feed for her daily outfits-she's got a wicked eye for preloved goodness!

  1. When did you first start shopping preloved? Did anything or anyone inspire you to do so?

I don’t think there has ever been a time that I haven’t shopped second hand (sorry I’m not a fan of the term pre loved). As a student I studied Fashion Design so I have always had a positive relationship with clothes, I see them as a method of expression. As such I don’t tend to stick to the same style, or follow trends in any particular way. You can imagine that having a wardrobe the suits how I feel on any particular day could potentially cost a lot of money! So Reason 1 is cost.

Growing up I have always gone into the charity shops with my Mum, as the eldest child in my family I also passed my clothes and toys onwards. I have not been brought up to think that second hand is less than. So reason 2 is I have always done it?!

Thirdly, whilst on the second year of my course I completed a project that looked at ‘Green Fashion’ and the token collections that high street stores were doing at the time promoting things such as fair trade and organic products…….I see they haven’t lasted! This opened my eyes to the world of Sustainable Fashion and the many faces that entails. Pretty much from this point I knew that a career in the Fashion industry wasn’t going to be for me, I did not want to be a creator in one of the world’s most polluting industries. From then on every project I completed I explored a different avenue of sustainable fashion, and for my dissertation explored the designer’s role in the issue. While researching my dissertation I came across Lizzie Harrison and her local studio Antiform (if you haven’t already I recommend looking into her brand), I did an internship with Lizzie and never looked back! While working at her studio I was one of the first volunteers to help out at Leeds Community Clothes Exchange and 10 years later I am Co Director of the event.



  1. What are your top tips for charity/thrift shopping?

My top tips are to not go looking for something very specific but at the same time do not browse indiscriminately as you will end up filling your wardrobe with tat, that isn’t worn and so your still spending for the sake of it and consuming as well.

Try things on no matter what size the label inside says, it’s a known fact that sizing is not standard across the board and clothing sizes have changed over the years. It’s a number after all and if you look fab in it, why let that hold you back.

Feel the quality of the clothing, look for natural fibres. Check them for twisted seams etc as you want something that will still last even though it’s already been worn!

If you’re unsure then leave it! You don’t ‘NEED’ it.

If you find something spectacular, but it’s the wrong size consider having it altered, by a professional! They need your love too, and the people who work there are incredibly skilled! Make use of them.


  1. What is your best charity/thrift shop find?
Around 80% of my wardrobe is Second Hand (Charity Shop/Clothes Swaps/Hand Me Downs/Vintage). I find it hard to have a particular item that I love the most; as such a large quantity of my wardrobe is second hand. There are a few bits that I wear often that I do really like.

An Adidas Brazil Jacket that I picked up at a vintage kilo sale. This is easily the most worn item that I got out of all my purchases, I love the bright colours.



A white pleated skirt I bought 4/5 years ago from the local Sue Ryder charity shop. Another item of clothing that I’ve worn over and over, and can be dressed up or down

A long white cheese cloth dress, with floral embroidery. While I don’t wear this nearly as much as I should I absolutely love it and call it my Frida Khalo dress. I saw this in the vintage charity shop where I live and left it over night to see if I really wanted it, it had a high price tag for something that would need fixing and I knew wouldn’t be that wearable. It was still there and I do love it, but need to wear it more!



A recent find that I’m enjoying, are a pair of Levi 501’s in black. I picked them up at the exchange and they have replaced a much loved pair of mum jeans that got too big. I did have to chop them off at the bottom though. So I’ve been trying them out as a style … obviously fairly happy to have got them for very little!



  1. What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving behind? The one that got away?
None or none that I can remember. If I decide not to buy something it’s usually for a reason, fit or quality wise. Supprisingly Im not a massive shopper, I just don’t let things go all that easily so have more angst over giving away something and then regretting it later.

  1. Who is your style inspo?
No one in particular. I don’t have a definite style icon really. Or I don’t think I do any way. I use Pintrest to create a variety of mood boards around aspects of my style like work wear for example. Ive printed these off and have them inside my wardrobe doors to help me pick outfits!!!


  1. What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe?
When shopping for clothes with my Nan, she used to say that you should be as pleased with a new item of clothing as a new partner. So you end up with a wardrobe full of things you love to wear! Clothing should bring you joy.

Mess around with outfits, if you can be bothered take pictures of what you’re wearing so you know what looks good. Having taken a picture of my outfits every day for over a year, I can go back and put something together by looking through.
Hang out fits together in your wardrobe to make it easier to choose.

Having the space to have an organised and tidy wardrobe is really handy too, so that you can see what you already own, without forgetting what’s  there.

Knowing your own personal style is very important!


A big thank you to Becky for taking part in my interview series!
Watch this space for more-I'll be posting every Thusday.
If you would like to be featured then please get in touch with me on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram


Comments

Popular Posts