Interview with Olga aka Big Fat Greek Mother


I am beyond excited to have the hilarious and delightful wearer of 1980s dresses, Olga aka @big_fat_greek_mother. I absolutely LOVE Olga's vast collection of vintage dresses with their bold and colourful prints. She styles them so well; often with trainers and a bright lip. Check out her interview-one of my favourites so far!

1. When did you first start shopping preloved? Did anything or anyone inspire you to do so?


I got into vintage clothing when I was a student at York Uni. I was trying to figure out who I was so I dabbled in a number of "dubious" undergrad looks ranging from sexy Librarian to mediterranean goth. Thank God we didn't have mobile phones back then to 'document' this ghastly evidence. Eventually I settled on a saturday night fever sartorial theme with flares and mahoosive sparkly collared shirts. I thought I was the bomb going clubbing at the weekends! You should have seen me I was a kind of female John Travolta. It was only later in my early 30s that I drifted away from 70s clothing as my body changed and I became a mother. I discovered beautiful dresses in forgiving shapes that loved my mum body and allowed me to redefine myself again after having the boys. Yes I found my one true love:80s powerhouse dresses!!!!


2. What are your top tips for charity/thrift shopping?


I tend to go to charity shops in out the way places that no one else goes to. For example some of the best finds ever are those found on British seaside holidays in remote places. I find in the charity shops in popular town centres everything is either chucked out if its vintage (oh this old thing) or if its kept in its over priced for the vintage seeking punter. 



3. What is your best charity/thrift shop find?



This beautiful 80s dress in this...
...photo. Its a prom dress I bought for a fiver in Weymouth last summer I remember putting it on IMMEDIATELY. Yes unwashed. Yes on a hot beach. Yes a prom dress. Such was the love babe!



4. What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving
behind? The one that got away?


Never. I have never let this happen! I am such a magpie. I love 80s clothes! I rarely buy from the highstreet so I grab my 80s wardrobe garbs whenever I can!!! If I am honest I can never leave an 80s piece behind. If it calls me over, speaks to me and tells me a story it is mine. I love 80s dresses in particular because they bring such bright statement and polyester drama with them that I can kick ass with some cool trainers. 


5. Who is your style inspo?

I grew up watching Dallas and Dynasty. Growing up with Alexis Carrington as part of your primary socialization does things to a girl! 



6. What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe?



Only buy what you love. I don't have anything in my wardrobe that I do not love. Buy what feels good on you and takes you to your happy place. Also trust yourself. We each have our own style, our own way of bringing our experience to what and how we wear our clothes. Don't buy clothes to look like anybody else. Buy clothes that make you look like you. Finally, I don't really buy clothes that I compartmentalise; that is I don't have clothes I keep for best or special occasions and then others for every day wear. To me every day is an occasion and a time to celebrate. Every day is gift!

A huge thank you to Olga for taking part in my interview series. If you haven't already check out the others! And stay tuned for more!


Comments

Popular Posts