6 Tips for Shopping Vintage



I have been a fan of vintage shopping for many years now, probably since the mid-90s when I used to hunt out 1970s corduroy flared jeans in the charity shops in Boscombe. I love the story that vintage clothes have to tell. I love imagining who wore them, who made them. Plus they are usually really good quality so are always worth the purchase. Here are my top 6 tips for vintage shopping success.

1. Try the charity shops first.

It is a well known fact that vintage shop owners trawl the charity shops for items to sell on. I have seen one of our local shop owners when out and about in the chazzers myself! Get there first and have a look. They will always be cheaper.


2. What's your era?

Have an idea of what sort of vintage pieces or look that you like. Pinterest and searching hashtags on instagram are a great way to find fashion bloggers and style inspiration.

3. It takes time.

Many vintage shops are jam-packed with stuff. Give yourself time to go through all the rails-they probably wont be sorted into sizes, so...


4. ...always try on! 

Vintage sizing is different. Expect to go up at least 2 sizes. If you are a 10 you are most likely to be a 14. But dont let that put you off! Many highstreet stores vary in sizing too; I am a 10-12 in Marks and Spencers and a 14 in Topshop. It used to really bother me but I could not care less now. As long as I have clothes that fit and suit my shape then I don't mind what size it says on the label.

5. Remember things can be altered.

If you really like the print on a dress but it is too long for the look you want to create then find a good tailor or alterations shop that will take it up for you. Or have a go yourself!

6. Go with an open mind. 

Try on things that you think wont suit you-you might be pleasantly surprised!








Comments

Popular Posts