For this week's interview we have the breath of fresh air that is Charley Conquest. I absolutely love Charley's instagram feed because not only is it full of preloved finds, it is also a riot of colour, prints and textures all modeled in a quirky and dynamic way. You need to check out this girl's poses! 





1.   When did you first start shopping preloved? Did anything or anyone inspire you to do so?


I started shopping preloved at University. I was pretty shocked by how much money my friends would spend in Topshop and All Saints when we were all living on Pot Noodles and I thought there must be a better way than getting in loads of debt!

2.       What are your top tips for charity/thrift shopping?

Always try something new! I don’t have a particular style, and shopping second hand means you don’t have to break the bank to try something you might not ordinarily wear. Be patient is my other suggestion – if you’re someone who hates shopping then it’s probably not for you. Also, always befriend the ladies who volunteer because then they might point out things they think will suit you!

3.       What is your best charity/thrift shop find?

My Burberry scarf is my prized possession, and the most I’ve spend on a charity item so far (£35). I also love my Easter dress which I picked up for £10; as soon as I saw it it reminded me of Judy Garland in Meet Me In St Louis, it’s a vintage dress from a brand I’d never heard of and I love that it has a history behind it. To me, fashion is about injecting theatricality into the everyday and that dress epitomises that!

4.       What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving behind? The one that got away?

Ooh, wow, good question! I think I often go back as I get a few steps out of the shop and know I’ve made a mistake. I did this with a MaxMara cocktail dress which I love. I think actually it was a pair of Laboutins which were £80. That’s a lot for me to spend on myself, but someone got a bargain!

5.       Who is your style inspo?

First and foremost Coco Rocha – but for her outrageous poses and overall bad ass vibe! Debbie Harry also, because age is nothing to her she just wears what she likes and I love that. Rihanna also has that eclectic look and ‘I wear this for me’ attitude. Lastly Olivia Palermo is great style inspo but I admire her style more than aspire to it, as I’m not as put together as she is!

Also, I have been inspired by some really stylish ladies on Instagram - @fashiontravelrepeat, @hannahstyledit, @whatkathydidnext  and many, many more. All wear things I might not have thought about previously and I’ve been inspired to pick up pieces and try new things because of them.

6. What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe?

Take a risk. Always take a risk. And never be afraid to stand out. I just think that above all fashion should be fun, not too serious. I’ll always veer more towards Vivienne Westwood than Coco Chanel and I’m happy in my comfort zone of colourful madness!

A huge thank you to Charly for taking part in my interview series. If you dont already follow her then click here!

Comments

Popular Posts