Naomi Jamieson



I am so excited to have the gorgeous and achingly cool Naomi Jamieson on the blog this week. I discovered Naomi on the Banardos Instagram feed (if you don't already follow-you know what to do!) and ever since then I have been obsessed with her unique style. I love how she mixes pretty feminine slip dresses with metal band T-shirts and chunky books. Plus I have hair envy. 

Over to Naomi!







When did you first start shopping preloved? Did anything or anyone inspire you to do so?

When I was born my parents had very little disposable income so virtually all of my clothes were either hand me downs from my uncle who was a similar age to me or from the local charity shops. I think the only things I had new were Christmas and birthday presents like a pair of Calvin Klein jelly shoes and my first shoes from Clarks, a pair of patent ballet flats. I always had cool clothes in my photos from when I was a child, I love 90's style and know I'll go on to dress my kids the same.
I have lived in the same town most of my life and often get people recognise me from when I was a little being my parents child as there's not many redheads where I live. I always get  comments saying it's funny how I still dress the same and often refer to when my mum used to dress me in the cutest girly dresses and I'd always have my Dr Martens on. I see vintage kids clothing online and in charity shops and am ALWAYS tempted to start getting a little's wardrobe prepped for the future littles. The only thing I've bought so far is a vintage plaid shirt that was so cute that I couldn't leave behind for 99p!



What are your top tips for charity/thrift shopping?

I always plan my route, know which charity shops I'm hitting first, expecially if I go somewhere else out of town as I don't want to miss any hidden gems. I always have a good rummage as one of the charity shops in my town has huge tubs filled with accessories, trousers, skirts, menswear etc which is all on offer at 3 items for 99p. Which is absolutely fantastic! I'd say go alone as I tend to go with on of my friends who shops to sell and she gets some right gems. Our favorite bit is when we meet up and go through each others bags! I've even bought stuff off her before to give her a profit on it jusy to bag a dreamy item. 

What is your best charity/thrift shop find?

I got a vintage polkadot dress from M&S for £2 and a camel jacket for £1.99 the other week and my whole haul from Cancer Research  was the best haul I've ever done. 




What is the one item you still kick yourself for leaving behind? The one that got away?

There was a snake print maxi skirt and blouse set in a size 16, Cancer Research wanted £6 for it and I left it because it was too big. I kept thinking if I could make it more fitted and wear them as separates. You never know it might still be there on Saturday when I'm back in Town charity shopping. 


Who is your style inspo? 

I'd say Alexa Chung's style is perfect I just wish I had a smaller bust to get away with some of the stuff she wears. I don't really have anyone else to be honest maybe Daisy Lowe she's pretty cool rocking the fuller bust look!



What is your best piece of advice for shopping your wardrobe? 
Get key pieces that you can style differently. I picked up some zebra maxi skirts and I can't wait to wear them with an oversized white shirt and black patent ankle boot or dress them down with a band tee, leather jacket and my Dr Martens.
I can wear what I want to work which is nice so I can express myself daily. I'd hate to have an all black uniform where i would feel like I just vanished into the ordinary and took a dive into a personality-less pit. We have a concession in Topshop called We Are Cow which is vintage and upcycled. They always have good vintage finds but can be a shock to the system when you've been picking up things for a couple of quid in charity shops on your days off. I make sure I go once a week and have a quick blitz round town before I come home and make a monster video of my haul.

 

A huge thank you to Naomi for taking part! Check out some of the other posts from thrifty fashion bloggers-just click on the Guest Post label for more!





Comments

Popular Posts