5 Top Tips for Charity Shopping



As I have said before, I am addicted to charity shopping. I get such a rush when I find something I've been looking for months-that missing item in my wardrobe. I am very well practiced by now and find this way of shopping very easy. However I do understand that it can be a bit overwhelming if you're not an old hat (pun intended) at it like me. So I thought I'd share my 5 Top Tips!

1. Go with an open mind
I find that it is best to pop in without looking for anything in particular. Yes, it's good to keep hunting for that one item you are desperate for, but I have found winter coats in my local charity shops in August and stashed them away for colder months. I saw one women buy a leopard print faux fur coat during the recent heatwave we had. It cost her £8. Bargain!

2. Check every rail-regardless of size or gender
Sizing can be different for different brands so check every rail and pull out the things that catch your eye. Also don't forget to check the men's section ladies! I have scored some excellent cosy, oversized jumpers in the men's department. They also quite often have some cool bands T-shirts so are well worth a rummage. Leave no stone unturned!

3. Try on everything!
So after you have checked every rail make sure you try everything on. Clothing brands can vary massively in terms of sizing, and vintage clothes size completely differently so make sure you try stuff on. I've learnt this the hard way! 

4. Look at the labels
Sadly many of my local charity shops are full of fast fashion labels that are not made to last. Check that you are buying an item that you know is well made and will live long in your wardrobe.

5. Look for stains!
A bit gross! But it is important to look for stains on a garment. Check the neckline to see if there is any foundation, or pockets for any biros that may have leaked and so on. Most charity shops steam their clothing before they go out on the rails, and they are usually checked thoroughly but it's worth doing this yourself just to be sure.



So that's it! Please add in the comments below if you have anymore tips. I'd love to hear them! And check out my interviews for other handy hints for shopping second hand!

Comments

Popular Posts