5 months in = 5 lessons learnt

It's been 5 months since I began my 'no new clothes for a year' project. It's been an education for me and I have been surprised at how easy it has been! Here are 5 things I have learnt so far-


1. For the love of chazzers. 

Ok, so I sort of knew this already, but charity shops and vintage shops are AMAZING! Not only are there always good items at bargain prices to be found in these places, but they are so much fun to shop in. The rush of endorphins you get from finding, for example, a brand new pair of Russell and Bromley boots for £10 (yes this did happen to me) is indescribable. But this does not happen every time I visit a charity shop. You have to frequent these places and give yourself time to look through all those rails (see my blog post on 5 top tips for charity shopping success here).

2. Freedom.

It's liberating not going shopping on the high street. It really is! I went to get my son some new socks recently and it was the first time I had been into a regular store for several months. It was a shock to the senses and immediately I started looking at the clothes on display and feeling that I 'needed' them. Which is a nonsense I know, but that is what I used to feel all the time when I went shopping. It's so exhausting. And let's face it, ultimately a huge disappointment as feeling like that I would never be satisfied.

3. Saving money...? 

Well, I have to be honest here. I don't think I have saved that much money as I have been buying more secondhand clothes than I would have new clothes. My spending probably has not gone down. So from now on I am trying very hard to not just buy for the sake of it; to look at the gaps in my wardrobe and ask myself if I really need that item. If I do then great. If not, then I'll leave it behind and let someone else discover it.

4. Education. 

I am learning so much about where high street clothes come from, how they are made, and who by. I am not sure whether I will NEVER buy new again-in fact I know I will when this year is over. What I am certain of is that I will endeavor to buy ethical and sustainable clothing. There are so many amazing brands out there such as Veja, The People Tree, Birdsong, The White T Shirt Company, to name but a few.


5. Happiness.

My no new clothes project has coincided with a few changes I have made in 2018. I wanted to be more mindful, to be satisfied with what I have, to try and do better for the planet... This is the year I have made a career change, I have fully committed to being vegan, I have increased my exercise regime. Whilst this may make me sound holier than thou (not my intention), there are so many other things I could do to decrease my carbon footprint/be a better person, etc. I am a work in progress. These small changes have honestly made me happier, which has been a surprise as I did worry that I would feel I am missing out or denying myself things. But it has had the opposite effect! Result!


Have you made similar changes to your lifestyle recently? Perhaps you have been doing these things for a long time now. Do you feel your life is easier/happier as a consequence? Please share in the comments below.

Comments

Popular Posts